Thursday, May 04, 2006

Get a Job

OK, so last night in the library I was approached by a 30 year old woman asking for money. She claimed that she was from Decatur and was out of gas. Today at CVS I heard "Excuse me sir." I turned around and it was the same woman. Without giving her a chance to talk I said, "I saw you in the library last night. You're from around here." Remembering who I was she replied, "Oh, no, I've been here the whole time, I still can't get home." I just looked at her and said, "You're from around here, I don't believe you." Then she just said, "Okay, thanks anyways." I told a police officer about the woman on my way back to my dorm.

This has happened to me several times, but the best time was when "Gary" approached my friends and me outside of Old Chicago. He said his car ran out of gas and he just needed $5. I quickly told him I didn't have any money, and then I turned around to see 4 of my friends holding their hands out with wads of one and five dollar bills. I couldn't believe it. They ended up giving him $7 dollars. After he left I turned to my friends and said "By the way, NEVER do that again. You're just feeding an addiction." They of course had believed Gary and thought I was being a jerk.

Later on, I told my friend Adam the story and he said "Was Gary a shorter black guy?" I said he was. Turns out Gary had approached Adam with the exact same story outside of the exact same Old Chicago 2 weeks ago.

If you want to help these people out, offer to buy them a meal. Never ever give them money because money will just buy drugs or alcohol.

Keep it real,

Ben

6 comments:

charlesdean2 said...

my best friend in seminary would keep money in his pocket just for that purpose -- to give to people that asked.

I asked him about the whole drugs & alcohol deal, and his response was that Jesus never told us to be kind and gracious only when we were confident that the person wouldn't waste it. My friend believed that he was called to help no matter what.

Of course, taking them out to eat, or buying them food is BETTER, but I don't think it's the ONLY correct response.

JGanschow said...

I totally believe his story. With gas prices these days, he probably couldn't get his car to the gas station and then out of peoria with the money he was collecting. Next time you see him, tell him to save up his money and buy a goat or oxen and then ride it home. He could really save on gas money becuase his new mode of transportation could just eat grass on the way (and people might even pay him for "mowing" their lawn). that's what i would do. p.s. if you ever want a free goat ride, just ask. i have several.

swishthedish said...

Let me clarify, I'm not saying that every single time you give money to someone you're supporting a habit. I can't say that's ALWAYS the case.

I'm saying, if I have any reason to think that me giving them money will support self-destructive addictions or activities, I will not give them money and encourage others to do the same.

On a side note, if you want to find out if the person is really in need or is just looking to get drunk or high, ask questions.

With "Gary" at Old Chicago, my friend Dan offered to drive to to the gas station and fill up a gas can and bring it back to his car. (He needed $5 to rent the gas can)
Gary of course said, "Oh.....no... I'd just be easier if you gave me money, I really don't want to make things hard for you guys..." and he wouldn't accept any other form of help other than cash. Very suspicious.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Anonymous said...

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

"The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Matt 27:34-46

Ben I totally undertand where you are coming from as well as every one else. There is a lot of thought out there - but we know this God calls us to love the ungodly yeah I dont think cash is the first option, and as for giving hand outs we are not in the position to tell the lost what they are doing is wrong, we are in a position to love them - its up to us to obey and for God to take care of the rest

swishthedish said...

Who wrote this last comment? Reveal yourself! Ha, just kidding, but seriously leave your name.

Anonymous said...

sorry my boy ben i dont leave my name - i do type 1234 some timses though - - - see what jason wood has to say about me - - maybe if you can figure me out i will buy you a steak dinner at denny's or a nicer establishment