Monday, May 08, 2006

Kicking Myself

OK, so tonight in the library I sat directly opposite and to the right of a really cute blonde girl. I was sitting by myself studying and she was studying with a friend, but throughout the night we made eye contact on numerous occasions. Now, eye contact doesn't mean anything, but it's not a bad sign, unless you have something stuck in your teeth... but let's hope that wasn't the case.

So 5 minutes ago she just packed up her crap and walked out the door. Another missed opportunity. Now, in this situation, no good opportunity presented itself for me to talk to her, but still, why didn't I just go talk to her? I'm not insecure by any means, but like most guys, approaching a girl without any real reason to talk to her is a daunting task. I could write about how we're living in a society of emasculated men and how men fear rejection, but it wouldn't matter. I still didn't talk to that cute blonde.

With me, if I have a legitimate reason to talk to the girl, I'm off and running, but otherwise I'm dead in the water. I'm looking for some feedback here. Guys, what would you do in that situation? Ladies, any thoughts? Should I just imagine that everyone in the library is in their underwear? Maybe that'll help.

Keep it real,

Ben

6 comments:

JGanschow said...

um, underwear? not a good idea. it's nice to be in a relationship and not have to worry about this stuff, but it was always exciting. i'm not very shy, so would probably say something stupid-cute to start a conversation. the hardest part is breaking the ice right? so if you can be clever, without being annoying, you're money. that is unless she's a deaf mute you don't know sign language. then you're pretty much screwed. unless you draw pretty pictures...

Leslie said...

Ben...so I'm trying to rack my brain to remember who was sitting at the table next to me last night...but I wanted to say girls are jerks. Dating and approaching girls now a days is really hard and I applaud your thought (half attempt) We are so worried that if a guy approaches us he either wants something more than to get to know us, or he's a complete weirdo. I know you and I know neither of these are the case...Just ask God for the strength next time and if she's meant to be God will put it in her heart to not think your a weirdo. ;o) Have a good one Ben!!

erichapman said...

man, i used to have this same problem.

but i really want to get this point across: i'm glad i never had the guts to talk to most of those girls that caught my eye. i might have found so many more wrong girls.

i know sometimes it's easy to talk to girls, and sometimes it's mission: impossible. but i think sometimes when we're at a roadblock with even talking to someone, that might be for the better.

Anonymous said...

You might get rejected by the lady, but you sure won't get anywhere sitting and blogging about it. You've got a lot to offer, we don't need to tell you you're a great guy. Go for it and good luck.

Leslie said...

Ben the more I look at this picture..the more it actually kinda looks like you!

swishthedish said...

leslie, that is me