Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The 10 Commandments of Blogging

OK, so now that I'm back it seems like everyone has a blog. Now, I by no means am an expert blogger, but I have noticed that many blogs nowadays seem to be lacking. So I have taken the liberty of creating my own 10 Commandments of Blogging. I hope that you will find them of service.


I. Thou shalt keep it short
People don't read things online, they scan, so keep it short

II. Thou shalt update consistently
Nothing is worse than that guy who updates his blog every 2-3 weeks

III. Thou shalt not rant
Does anyone really care that your hangnail hurt all day or that you don't eat peanut butter because it makes you gassy? The answer is no.

IV. Thou shalt not send hidden messages
Everyone knows what you're doing anyways

V. Thou shalt include a visual aid
Pictures help grab people's attention and can be good for a laugh

VI. Thou shalt never post anonymous comments
Anonymity is a tool for cowards

VII. Thou shalt have a cool banner
It makes your blog look official

VIII. Thou shalt not ramble about unimportant details in your life
The only people that will read these posts are your parents and that guy or girl who has a crush on you and is looking for clues (see commandment IV)

IX. Thou shalt not create posts consisting only of song lyrics
Bethany, this one's for you

X. Thou shalt have fun
Blogging can be a lot of fun for you and your readers if you'll just obey the previous 9 commandments

Keep it real,

Ben

8 comments:

Bethany said...

blogging commmandment # 243...if you dont have a big enough vocabulary to use the words while speaking in real life, you shouldnt be writing it...
it's false portrayal

p.s. ben, this one's for you

swishthedish said...

bethany it'll be a cold day in hell before i start taking blogging advice from a newbie like yourself

and i do know all those words, dork

JGanschow said...

bethany, burn his house down. oh wait, that's your house too. um...

Chris said...

We should just light him on fire instead!

Heaven awaits my friend...

Anonymous said...

can i start commenting since were officially friends?

swishthedish said...

anon, yeah, just leave your name

Anonymous said...

I'm a rule breaker, what can i say?

Leslie said...

Ben I think I break all your 'commandments' sorry.