The next day I had a chance to ask him about it after work. Apparently he was awoken by a whooshing sound in his room. At first, he thought it was just the chords from his ceiling fan swinging around, but then he heard it bumping into things along his walls and swooping over his bed and knew it had to be a bat.I was a little skeptical to say the least. We both entered the room and looked around that afternoon, but there was nothing in the room. Not a single bat dropping. I asked him why he didn't just turn on the lamp next to his bed to make sure it was a bat, but he said that there was no way he would do that because then the bat would be able to see where he was. I reminded him that bats where blind. He said that he heard light helps bat's echo location system.
After repeatedly insisting that a bat truly had been in his room (followed by series of dramatic statements about the possibility of him getting rabies) I told him that I believed him. Who knows, maybe a bat really did fly into his room. There is a small, bat sized opening between the window and his air conditioning unit that he didn't close up, and bats do fly around our house at night.
So now every night after I tuck Ryan in and kiss him goodnight, I also do a routine inspection for bats. I'm not really expecting to find any bats; it just helps him sleep better at night.
Keep it real,
Ben
2 comments:
I have a remedy for your bat problem. Since bats are blind, they rely on their sense of smell for direction. AND they hate the smell of peanut butter. So, have Ryan rub peanut butter on both of his ear lobes before bed each night and he should remain rabies-free.
justin, you're a fountain of useless knowledge
Post a Comment