OK, so I like Mike Huckabee. I think he's a cool guy, he's a Christian, and he has a lot of good things to say, but I'm not voting for him.I saw him in a CNN Debate with other Republicans a while back, and they were discussing the war, and when the moderator asked him about Iran, Huckabee said something that really turned me off. The quote was this, "I think we need to make it very clear, not just to the Iranians, but to anybody, that if you think you're going to engage the United States Military, be prepared not just to have a battle, but be prepared first to put your sights on the American Vessel. And then be prepared that the next thing you see will be the gates of Hell, for that is exactly what you will see after that."
Everyone in the Republican packed room clapped of course, but that statement really concerned me. I understand the importance of a strong and vigilant military, but my concern is that statements like that only serve exacerbate the problem.
Rhetoric like that sounds great to Americans, but only reinforces all kind of negative stereotypes and over simplified thinking about our enemies, and promotes war and justice over peace. Call me a liberal (I'm not), but I think we need to make every effort towards peace.
To be fair, this is very much an oversimplification of a very complex issue, and there's not enough space on this blog to go into all the different issues and perspectives surrounding it, but regardless, my vote is going to go for a peacemaker. They're blessed you know.
Keep it real,
Ben
7 comments:
Same here man, a president who advocates peace would be awesome. I wich Ron Paul actually had a chance at the presidency.
-Twaddle
I heard this morning that Huck needs more votes than are left from the remaining primaries, so I think we're stuck with McCain. A war vet. Does that mean we should vote for Obama or Mrs. Bill for peace?
That's interesting... kind of an awful quote to pin on the guy... I've listened to him a few times and never heard him say anything quite that sharp. I'm with you on needing a president that's a more of a peacemaker, but don't you think it's also important to look at the bigger picture of who a person is and what they are for, rather than just axing them based on a couple sentence quote? You could probably find a quote or two from the peacemakers that you are strongly against also don't you think?... Ah well, it's hard to know which issues take priority over the others though, for me at least.
I don't really know actually... Admittingly, I'm pretty ignorant on these matters, but I did watch CSPAN for a few hours the other night with my parents. That counts for something right? :)
Yeah that is scary what he said. But you prefer a "peacemaker?" That is would rather vote for the anti-Christ (a peace maker at first) than some one that states idea that come from the Bible?
No what he said is stupid. But I think our vote should be better thought about thought through. Every one makes stupid statements.
Mizzy
Not every peacemaker is the Antichrist. Jesus emphasizes peace a lot. I mean, the guy healed one of the people who came to put him to his death. Sounds like a peacemaker to me.
-Twaddle
To clarify, it's a terribly complex issue and there's no easy answers...except for this one:
Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks. To me, I don't think Huckabee would be the best fit if we're looking for a President who will work towards peace and repairing our image in the eyes of the world.
I don't know who I'm going to vote for yet. I might vote for Obama. Not sure.
And as for the whole Anti-Christ thing, I really don't believe that is a correct interpretation of Revelation. Study it context and I think you'll find that Revelation is referring to events that were going on in the Roman Empire at the time, with emperor Nero being a good candidate for the "Anti-Christ" you're talking about.
impressive response dish
Mzzy
Post a Comment