OK, so I remember hearing in Sociology class that people have a great tendency to fulfill roles placed upon them by others, and nowhere is this more true than in my own family.I am 20 years old, not a boy, not yet a man, but every time I go back to visit my family I feel like I'm still 12 years old. Still the youngest, still the butt of the jokes, still taken the least seriously. My speech becomes less articulate and my stories seem to ramble and miss the point. Now, you might be thinking "That's how he always is," but it seems more apparent when I'm around my family.
I haven't figured out exactly why yet, but I think I have an idea. I am the youngest, and on a subconscious level I think I have a real desire to be heard, and more importantly to be seen as an equal or to be validated by my family.
In sociology your "role" is determined by what you do, but your "status" is determined by what or who you are. I guess I'm just waiting for my role to catch up to my status.
Keep it real,
Ben
1 comment:
Hi Ben...this is Grams, still visiting in AK. I just read your last blog and want you to know I do not regard you in any way as the 12-yr old I remember, and that you sometimes feel like in your home situation.
I think you are quite mature and coming along just great. I always wish Grandpa could see the way you are living your life. (maybe he does) Because he was like you in many ways at age 20, and he was a great man.
I should write something funny, but I am dead serious...I like you alot and love you very much.
Love
Grandma
Have a great time in NY!
Post a Comment