Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I Blame Chippy

OK, so as some of my friends know I dislike guinea pigs. Recently a friend wrote me a message asking me why this was, so I thought I would take the time to explain my distaste for the dirty little rodents.

It all started when I was 12 years old and we were visiting my cousins in Indiana. They had a guinea pig named Chippy, and while he certainly was no Stewart Little, I still liked to play with the little guy. That is, until one day I decided to play with Chippy without a shirt on.

I was carrying him down the stairs so I thought it would be safest to clutch him to my chest. What happened next would change my view of guinea pigs (and my life) forever. As I was walking down the stairs the thing freaked out and bit my chest. I immediately let go of Chippy, but he didn't follow suit. He hung from my chest like Stallone in Cliffhanger for what seemed like an eternity until finally dropping to the ground.

I ran and got my cousins who grabbed the guinea pig and put him back in his cage. Needless to say I didn't play with Chippy again for the rest of our trip. I've never looked at guinea pigs the same way since.

On a lighter note, Chippy was later anesthetized by my uncle (who also happens to be a surgeon). I guess he just got tired of having to take care of the guinea pig when my cousins neglected it. It seems that the universe is not without a sense of irony. Or maybe karma would be a better choice of words. Funny thing, my cousins thought Chippy had just died in his sleep, that is until years later when my father accidentally let the cat out of the bag at one of my cousins' graduation party, but that's another blog entry entirely.

So now you know why I don't like guinea pigs. Part of me does feel bad for the little guy though, so Chippy, wherever you are, rest in peace.

Keep it real,

Ben

7 comments:

nick said...

Ah, I feel so enlightend. I'm sure that that took a lot of courage to get off your chest. Woman. Also, you never returned my call. "little bastard".

swishthedish said...

haha, i went back and took the b-word out because I realized my grandma and everyone else in my family would probably end up reading this.

nick said...

oh crap. now your family's going to think of me as a heathen; and I even go to a "christian university". you should probably edit my b-word out. either way my statement still stands.

JGanschow said...

remind me not to go to your uncle for surgery. i prefer to wake up after anesthesia.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ben for telling the world that I blabbed about Chippy being euthanized. How was I to know that those poor kids didn't know the sick truth after all that time??

Bethany said...

moral of the story: put on some clothes ben!... and brace yourself, i'm guinea pig shopping...the little guy might need a sitter sometime:)

swishthedish said...

bethany I'm going to put your guinea pig in a blender