Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I'm in Love with a Dead Man

OK, so the title of this post brings to mind a popular evangelical bumper sticker that states, "I'm in love with a 2000 year old Jewish Man" or something to that effect. This post has nothing to do with that. In fact, I sincerely hope that God has reserved the crappiest place in heaven for the guy who invented those bumper stickers.

What this post is really about is C.S. Lewis. Lewis has always seemed sort of an anomaly to me. Almost everyone inside of Christendom loves him, ranging from staunch 5 point Calvinists to Roman Catholics (as well as quite a large number outside of the faith).

His life, his theology, and his imagination are completely fascinating to me. So, tonight I sat down and read the preface to his most famous book Mere Christianity. The preface alone provided such great insight and inspiration to me that I am resolving to indulge myself in as much of his work in Christian theology and apologetics as I can.

I'll end with a quote from Lewis. "Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither."

Keep it real,

Ben

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Another Lewis fan. I suggest "The Screwtape Letters" next. He has the best insights into spiritual warfare that I've ever heard.

PS- I'd be willing to bet that "the chronicles of Narnia" is more famous than "Mere Christianity"

swishthedish said...

You're right. The Chronicles of Narnia are more famous. Mere Christianity would be his most famous non-fiction work.