Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Bats in an Apartment!

OK, so if you haven't already, scroll down and read my previous post about bats before reading this one. About a week or so ago, at around 3 in the morning I woke up for no apparent reason. I didn't have my glasses on, but I looked up and could see a blurry black object darting around the ceiling in my room. My first thought was, "Holy crap, Ryan was right."

So very calmly, but very quickly, I grabbed my cell phone and blanket and exited the room, closing the door behind me. After five uncomfortable minutes on the couch without a pillow, I decided to journey back to my room to a) retrieve my pillow, and b) confirm the bat sighting.

I turned on the kitchen light and slowly opened my bedroom door. There was enough residual light to get a decent look at the room. As I glanced around I noticed a black object on the top of my window. I wasn't sure if that was the bat, so I grabbed an unopened pack of Hanes A-Shirts (wife beaters) and hurled them at the black object.

That thing went off like a bat out of hell, flapping its little furry wings all over and flying around my room. I slammed the door and ran into Ryan's room. The details are hazy, but the conversation went something like this.

"Wake up Ryan, there's a freaking bat in my room."
"Well, I don't recall getting much sympathy from you when I had this problem."
"Shut up and help me get it out of my room!"

While he was getting up, I poked my head out of his room and looked through the kitchen where I had a good side view of my bedroom door. I remember thinking "My door was installed wrong and there's an inch and a half gap between the top of the door and the door frame....I bet that's how he got in." And just as soon as I thought that, that winged rat shot out of the top of my door and started flapping around in my kitchen.

By now I am freaking out. I jumped back in Ryan's bedroom and slammed the door. [I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to Ryan for the myriad of curse words that came out of my mouth.] I regained my composure and we slowly headed back into the hallway to look for the bat. Ryan looked like he was ready for a day at the ball park, complete with a baseball glove on one hand, and a mini Cardinals bat in the other. I looked at him and said, "Ryan, it's a bat, not a fly ball."

I had a folded up towel that I was planning to hit the bat with, but we never got the chance. We scoured the house and didn't see anything. But, when we got to the living room we heard a scratching noise move through the wall. We could actually hear it moving from the bottom left corner of the wall up into the ceiling. Somehow these stupid bats are in our walls.

As it turns out, our neighbors in the basement had a bat problem once, but one of them was a fencer and actually killed it with his fencing sword. I haven't seen any bats since, but every night I now jam a T-Shirt into the gap above my door and wedge a towel underneath the bottom of the door to completely bat proof my room.

When I'm asleep that bat can fly around my living room all night if he wants, but when he flies into my room at 3 o' clock in the morning, he's crossing the line. Next time I'm calling animal control.

Keep it real,

Ben

1 comment:

JGanschow said...

check yourself for small puncture wounds. if you were bitten, you probably have rabis.

and will turn into a raccoon before midnight.