Thursday, March 30, 2006

Memory Lane Revisited

OK, so I lifted weights in Haussler Hall today. It was legs day. The first lift I start off with on legs day is the squat. The squat is the best overall weight training exercise you can do to improve muscle tone, power, and core strength. As I was doing my squats I was reflecting on my latest blog post and I remembered something that had happened to me while I was doing squats at my old gym, EastSide.

It was the summer between my senior year and I had been lifting regularly since spring. One day I was doing squats and I just so happened to be wearing one of the last few pairs of boxers left from my original 8th grade set (see previous post). They were pretty tight, which made it difficult to do squats comfortably, but I was determined to finish so I pushed through, literally. On one of my last squats I went down and felt (and heard) a huge RIPPPPPP.

"Oh no" I thought as I quickly racked the barbell. Had I ripped through my shorts? I mean, they get pulled pretty tight across your butt when you're squatting, but I reached back and let out a sigh of relief when I realized my pants were still in tact. I then hurried off to the bathroom to find my fears confirmed. I had ripped clear through the seat of my boxers. Had anyone seen it? Had anyone heard it?? I was faced with the option to either risk it and go back out there and finish my workout, or get the heck out of dodge. Long story short, I jettisoned my underpants in the nearest trash receptacle and made for the door. I drove home to put on a fresher, better fitting pair of boxers and never spoke a word of it to anyone. Until now...

Keep it real,

Ben

No comments: