Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A Rubber Band Analogy

OK, so I've spent the last two hours researching the arguments for and against postmodern, post fundamentalist, post whatever, emergent Christianity, and the results of my research: inconclusive.

Here's the deal, there's so much truth and relevance in what both sides are saying, but yet they find themselves in disagreement. Now, I could point out flaws I see in both sides of the argument and put in my two cents thus far, but you could just do a Google search and find much better commentary than you can here.

So instead I'll tell why, in spite of the 2 hours of confusion and frustration I just spent wrestling with this, I will sleep well tonight. A man wiser than me once gave me this analogy. He said that when you're dealing with these grey areas, its best to look at the arguments like a rubber band. He said that when a rubber band is pulled, it becomes taut and as long as that rubber band is being pulled on from both sides, each side is keeping the other in check. That helps me to realize that the tension, although negative at times, can ultimately be a positive thing for Christianity as a whole because it causes us all to re-examine what we believe and why we believe it. Hopefully through that we will be stretched and pulled out of our set views and preconceived notions and then the Holy Spirit can "guide us into all truth." Any thoughts?

Keep it real,

Ben

No comments: