OK, so the other night I was part of a discussion about homosexuality and how we should respond to it. For the most part we were all in agreement, but there was one thing I gathered from the conversation that concerned me: People in my generation equate judging people or actions as something that is evil or hypocritical. That is not true and I'll explain why.There is a difference between judging in an sinful manner as opposed to righteous judgment. Righteous judgment is something God calls us to do. People love to quote Jesus as saying "Judge not lest ye be judged," but does that mean that Jesus didn't want us to point out sin and hard-heartedness? If that's the case, the Christ Himself was being hypocritical when he judged the Pharisees and the other sinners. Read what Paul wrote about judging other believers in 1 Corinthians 5:11-13.
The good news is that these righteous judgments should always be undergirded by love or else they will be heard as only a "resounding gong or a clanging symbol," (1 Corinthians 13:1).
As far as unbelievers go, its not our job to hold them to a standard they never agreed upon, but let's not stop identifying a sin as a sin because we are afraid it might sound judgmental. Whether its lying, cheating, stealing, homosexuality, murder, lust, abortion, or envy, always use discernment, but never lose the ability to "call it like it is."
I pray that the pendulum will not swing from one end of hypocritical judgment to the opposite where we lose the ability to stand up for what's right and against what's wrong. Rather, I pray that it lands somewhere in the middle, which is where I think God wants it to be.
Keep it real,
Ben
4 comments:
After our discussion the other night I thought long and hard. I felt unaccomplished in what I was trying to say and although I am not trying to persuade anyone I just felt like I wasn't being heard. I agree with what you say about being a Christian and knowing "each sin is equally wrong". I also agree with what you said about Christians holding non-Christians to a different standard. The judgement thing is something that I feel differently about. I see your point and agree with the fact that judgement could be positive or negative. The part I see differently on is since we are all sinners I don't feel as though we have any room to tell people they are too, or the lifestyle they are living is wrong. We should concentrate on our personal relationship with Christ and pray that other sinners do too. I know we come from very different backgrounds and I honestly appreciate the insight you give...I think on a topic like this we will have to agree to disagree on the technicalities (if thats spelled right). It was great hanging out and I really enjoyed the convo!! Have a great week!!
Its hard to talk about judgements and judgementing others. Especially because at best it sounds 'holier than thou art really are' and at worst its just plain rude. When I read "righteous judgements," I think that only those who are righteous can make "righteous judgements." This basically excludes everyone except Jesus. Its rough making Jesus an exception to rules because we are suppose to live like him but ultimately I think since we fail miserably at the mere notion of comparison, exception he will remain. I do not necessarily believe that Paul was wrong when he advised the unholy Corinthian church to weed out sinners, especially the ones sleeping with their Father's wives. But the key to the passage for me is let God deal with the ones on the outside and you concern with those on the inside. I take that to mean not judging those around you but being concern for those around you. I make the differentiation in that if people are in your close knit church and they are 'sinning' in a way you feel inappropriate than you become concerned for their spiritual well being and you talk to them about it. The key to the phrase though to "Judge not less you be judged" is to watch your thoughts and what you say and how you say it etc. It's offensive and rude to label homosexuals, only for convienent example, as sinners because it sounds like they are sinners and the person labeling isn't. That runs contrary to what we are taught. But to have a relationship with a homosexual that is open enough to talk about homosexuality as not being in tuned with God's plan; would be ideal.
I carry this through to the legal system as well because if people think its wrong to judge, well that has huge implications in any judicial system.
There is a phrase that paraphrased says--Everything maybe permissible but just because its permissible doesn't mean its beneficial.-- I think 95% or more laws on the books or commonly held should be removed. The only laws that should be in place with 'judgements' attached are those which directly violate other's basic rights -- Life, Liberty, and Property. The rest of the laws which make drugs illegal, gay marriage illegal, abortions illegal, etc should be removed. With that said, I don't approve of any of those but if others wish to; I hope that a government will say ok but their friends and their society will say no, not ok. Consenting adults shall have consent by governments but not by God.
I respect the idea; hopefully for clarification, that the pendulum might swing too far toward acceptance of sinning lifestyle. Honestly. There is a fine line that is blurred on being unjudgemental and being nonaccepting of such behaviors.
Screwtape, a few thoughts. First of all, let me say that we're really not in that much disagreement about how we should deal with sin, but just because we're sinners doesn't mean we can't have righteous actions, and no, Jesus was not the exception. Jesus commanded us to righteously judge. See Matthew 18:15-17 and 2 Timothy 4:2. I'm sorry if you don't like words righteous and judgement, but they are not negative words in and of themselves, we only have a negative perception of them. I'll reiterate just in case you forgot, hypocritical and mean-spirited judging is wrong 100% of the time. Righteous judging is a positive thing. If it helps, call it gentle accountability.
And lastly, you opened up a whole can of worms with your statement that 95% of the laws currently held should be removed (naming abortion, gay marriage, and illegal drug laws). This statement is just plain wrong. It is written from an "I think" perspective instead of taking the time to research the impact that would have on society. I don't have time to go into all the terrible atrocities that would be committed if we just removed 95% of our laws and opened up the floodgates, but if you're going to present these ideas as plausible, then the burden of proof lies on you.
Leslie, Dan, Screwtape, thanks! I appreciate all your comments.
Peace
I'm with Swish. I am sick of people touting "judge not lest you be judged", but we can obviously see when someone is living outside of God's will. Can we just call a kettle black (in a loving, gentle way, of course)? He is right on.
Oh, also, we were all at one time sinners, but I have been saved from my sins and do not consider myself a sinner. Something to think about. The Bible is clear in instruction to live a holy life, worthy of our calling. I am sick of this "we are all sinners" talk as well. Remember, you are what you say you are. Change your words and phrasing, the sin will decrease. Raise the bar, the expectation to sin-less living. I'm talking the blatant, obviously avoidable sins, not all the "should have" and hidden sins of the heart.
I'm 2nd to buy the book.
Post a Comment