Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Band of Brothers

OK, so tonight my buddy Jason Schrock invited me over and we watched two episodes of HBO's "Band of Brothers" on DVD. "Band of Brothers" is a series about a company of paratroopers in World War II. They are about an hour a piece and are very well done.

As I get older I don't watch these kinds of movies as flippantly as I used to. As these young men, many about the age I am now, were wounded and killed in battle I just could not comprehend what they went through. My emotions during the battle scenes were a mixture of horror and sadness. In one scene an American soldier was hiding out in a barn located in German held territory when a lone German soldier stumbled onto him. The American, not wanting to give away his position by firing his gun, was forced to fight the German hand to hand, knocking him down and killing him with the bayonet attached to the end of his gun. I cannot imagine ever having to do that to another human being.

It's been said that war is hell, and those men endured it to ensure our freedom. I have a deep respect and admiration for anyone who has ever served our country in the military. Because of their sacrifice we are able to enjoy our freedom. We owe them a debt of gratitude.

Keep it real,

Ben

1 comment:

JGanschow said...

best series ever. i'm a huge war movie nerd, so i watch b.o.b. at least once a year. maybe we can watch it together and wear camo and helmets.